1/18/11

Winnie-the-Pooh Day

Today, according to the A Kids Book-a-Day Almanac, is officially Winnie-the-Pooh day. In honor of the august occasion, (but it's January, not August, Pooh grumbles. Yes, I know that, I tell him...), anyway, in honor of the occasion, I will present you with a few of Pooh's thoughts on education, spelling, and other brainy stuff.

I will admit, first, to being a Pooh snob, and thus only using quotes he actually said, as reported by Mr. Milne. Those other people have no business putting words in his mouth. (Actually, he says, his mouth is empty right now, and he wouldn't mind a bit of honey or condensed milk, but never mind the bread.)

So, Pooh on reading:
"I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."


Spelling:
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."

"You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY," (speaking about Owl), "even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count."

And here's one from Eyore:
"This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."

Pooh on thinking:
"When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it."
I know what you mean, Pooh, I often feel the same way when it's time to write on my blog. (You do? he asks. I assure him I do. Then might we have a little something to help us feel better? Perhaps, I say.)

In the mean time, here's a little winter poem for you, from my good friend, Winnie-the-Pooh.
"The more it snows (Tiddely pom),
The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
On snowing. And nobody knows (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
Are growing."

Good-bye and keep warm.

Read Well, Friend

No comments: